Massage therapy is a great way to help you relax, feel better, and ease aches and pains. No matter your age, massage offers many benefits; in fact, seniors will especially enjoy the effects of a thorough massage. Here are seven ways geriatric massage can help you feel young.
- Geriatric massage therapy can help increase circulation, which will make elderly individuals feel more energized. When undergoing a massage, blood flow increases, allowing more oxygen-rich blood to make its way through the body. Organs function better when they have a supply of well-oxygenated blood, which a relaxing massage can facilitate.
- If you have joint or muscle problems, which become more common with age, then you will absolutely benefit from a massage. Your massage therapist can work on the areas that are painful or tense. After your massage, you’ll feel incredibly rejuvenated.
- Many seniors experience range of motion problems after surgery, so a geriatric massage may be in order. Utilizing massage therapy as part of your physical therapy and recovery routine will get you back to your pre-surgery mobility in no time. A massage can help break up scar tissue and ease the pain of recovery.
- Massage therapy leads to a feeling of well-being and relaxation. If you feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, then a massage will release endorphins in your body to help you feel better. You’ll feel more at peace after your massage, and you probably feel more like your younger self.
- As we get older, insomnia may be a problem, Massage can help you feel so relaxed and find it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night, waking rested and refreshed. (especially with an appropriate aromatherapy blend added to the massage) sleeping senior No matter what your age, sleeping well is essential to your physical health and emotional well-being. For seniors, a good night’s sleep is especially important because it helps improve concentration and memory formation, allows your body to repair any cell damage that occurred during the day, and refreshes your immune system, which in turn helps to prevent disease.
- Some seniors suffer from feelings of loneliness and social isolation. Having regular massages therapy sessions will help you combat those feelings of depression. You’ll be seeing your therapist regularly, and you’ll feel like spending time with your friends again in no time.
- Beautiful healthy skin. Regular massage with rich organic massage oils, skin lotion or cream, penetrates into your skin, relieving dryness, tightness. It can help restore pliability and elasticity and even strengthen the tissues. (depending on the damage sustained by past abuse) I’ve seen tremendous changes in as little as 3 months of weekly massage, especially with use of warm massage stones. Discover how Aromatherapy can help you feel better. Your sense of smell can bring back memories, creates new ones, can help you feel calmer, energized or more alert Liona has an International Diploma in Clinical Aromatherapy. She can create a personal blend just for you and your needs. Essential Oils can be utilized in massage oils, body lotions, made into a room mist, used in a aromatherapy diffuser, vaporizer, a few drops on a ribbon or pillow plus many other methods.