They were hard to miss — the dark, purple circles dotting Michael Phelps Olympic athlete back and shoulders and running all the way down his leg. In Phelps’ case, they’re completely intentional. “I’ve done cupping for a while before meets,” says Phelps.
Cupping is a Chinese practice of suction of skin away from the underlying muscles for a short period of time in order to stimulate blood flow.
Why does cupping leave marks on the skin?
Depending on the amount of suction and the state of the underlying tissues, cupping can leave circular marks on the skin that range from a light yellow to pinkish red to dark purple.
From an Chinese acupuncture perspective, the darker the marks, the more stagnation of qi and blood in that area. Stagnation leads to pain and dysfunction within tissues, so cupping—like acupuncture—aims to clear the stagnation before it causes problems.
From a Western standpoint, cupping creates more space between the tissue layers to get rid of dead cellular debris and excess fluids and toxins. It also breaks up scar tissue. The marks, then, are caused by this debris being pulled up and deposited under the skin, which is actually the most effective place for the lymphatic system to drain it away.
Stationary cupping CAN leave marks but these marks aren’t bruises , nor painful, they’re toxins & cellular debris being brought to the surface .
Personally I get cupping done once a week and normally marks from stationary cupping dissipate quickly, because of my healthy lifestyle and diet. However when I painted my home, even with low voc paint, I developed marks that took several days to go away. Proof that cupping DOES bring toxins to the surface to be expelled from the body.
Moving cupping feels good,
· gentle way break up adhesion’s, treat edema
· release toxins, tight muscle pain,
· relax the nervous system
· increase circulation, and feel better.
· Your skin will have a rosy glow with NO MARKS.
· Continued improvement for 3+ days after
*medi-cupping vacuum therapy machine can give the lightest lymph drainage treatments for delicate constitutions. Stronger settings are used when needed.
A massage technique that has become popular is manual lymphatic drainage. With my medi-cupping machine, gentle suction in rhythmic movements stimulates lymph flow and encourage drainage when there’s been an abnormal buildup of fluids. This can be done any part of the body & is suitable for elderly frail skin and facial treatments.
Adhesion, can form as the body tries to heal after a surgery or injury. When skin touches down to muscle,it can stick like superglue instead of being able to be mobile, Cupping Massage can break up those adhesion’s and help maintain, and in most situations, regain, mobility.
Why do people get Cupping massage?
As well as improving physical symptoms, some people
say that having a cupping massage:
· Feels great & relieves chronic pain quickly
· 5 min. of cupping = 30 min deep tissue massage
· helps them to relax and sleep soundly
· helps them tone skin, restore elasticity
· Helps to detoxify their body
What are the benefits of cupping?
* Stimulates whole-body relaxation response (parasympathetic response)
*Stimulates oxygenation and detoxification of blood while promoting a feeling of lightness and tension relief
*Detoxifies metabolic debris in muscle tissue, fascia, and skin
*Increases range of motion, breaks up adhesions, and promotes healing in scar tissue and chronic injury sites
*Increases lymphatic drainage and promotes circulation
* Stimulates collagen and elastin to tone skin
* cupping effects continue for 3 days after your treatment. This is why for chronic conditions, I recommend 2-3 treatments per week for the 1st few weeks.
Given these benefits, here are some of the conditions for which cupping can be really helpful:
*Tight and stiff muscles
*Back pain and sciatica
*Piriformis syndrome and IT band pain
*Rotator cuff injuries
*Respiratory conditions, including asthma and bronchitis
*Anxiety, depression, and stress
*High blood pressure (by calming the nervous system)
Are there any cautions to be aware of with cupping?
* As I mentioned, cupping CAN leave marks on your skin. It may take a few days to a week to fade completely. This is important to remember if you have a wedding or special event to attend!
*Keep the area where you received cupping covered from extreme changes in temperature (for example, a hot sauna or cold air conditioning) immediately after treatment. Cupping opens your pores, making you more susceptible to catching a cold.
* drink plenty of water after cupping to flush toxins from your system.